I wasn’t even worried about this

I’m writing this post to share our experience with a febrile seizure with our 18 month old. It was scary terrifying. We were well taken-care-of through the process, if a little traumatized. Like most people, I didn’t even know what a febrile seizure was prior to this and this experience has made me better understand the thing itself as well as appreciate the support systems I have.

We were on the road, traveling the 8 hours from NC to PA. It was going great. We had the iPad hooked up with this little contraption (HIGHLY recommend, btw), Margo was watching some ripped Elmo DVDs. We stopped for dinner, she ran around, ate a respectable dinner and we got her jammies on, hoping she’d sleep most of the rest of the way. I sat in the back with her, just in case that process didn’t go as planned, and also (secretly) because I wanted to read Bossypants (I also recommend this, btw). She was a perfect angel, fell asleep promptly at 7 and woke briefly at 8:15 but was quiet and happy. At one point, she let out a little giggle – like “I’m so silly! – and turned her head to stare out the window.  We thought it was adorable.

Then… bam. I looked over and she was convulsing. She was quietly shaking, wouldn’t focus on me or anything, wouldn’t stop or be comforted. My first thought was she was choking on something so I shoved my finger in her mouth. Scott somehow pulled over amid 4 lanes of intense 95N traffic in DC area. We called 911, frantically. (Sidenote – I’m jealous of you if your last name is “Smith” or “Fox.” I had to spell McQuiggan while my kid was having a seizure.) After we got past that, the 911 operator was helpful, told us the right things to do and the ambulance was there in 5 min. It was all a little amazing, and I’m thankful these services exist and are functional.

The seizing stopped after maybe 45 seconds, before the ambulance arrived. She was scary after that too, unresponsive and limp when we picked her up out of her carseat. Oh, and also BURNING hot. So, that was news to us. You’ll remember she was fine at dinner an hour and a half before. The medics stabilized her, and she and I took our first ambulance ride to the hospital. Somehow Scott found us (they gave him iffy directions and he had to somehow deduce where we were, you know, in whatever town we were in. Major UNTHANKS to the pharmacy who didn’t know where the nearest hospital was. That happened.) It was hard on us ALL not to be together through this. I felt bad for Scott stuck driving in *wherever we were* and I was also all alone in an ambulance. If you’re going to go through a traumatic emergency, I think you should be able to be together.

So, the diagnosis was that It was a febrile seizure, which kind of sounds worse than it is, I guess. It also looks worse than it is. They explained it to us as the body’s way of cooling down a high body temperature. They can occur when the body spikes a high temp, which would jive with the whole “she was fine an hour ago” part of our experience. Her temp in the ambulance was 102.8, and they said a febrile seizure can cool your body temp up to a whole degree. It’s a totally benign seizure, not causing any permanent damage or putting her at risk for more seizures or other diseases.

So, what did we learn?

  • If you’re experiencing a febrile seizure, take off the child’s clothes, lay her on her left side where she can’t hurt herself and monitor her. You can’t stop it. (This is what’s amazing to me: I never said the words febrile seizure, but the 911 lady somehow knew the exact things to tell us. Great Work.)
  • If you’re going to call an ambulance from the side of the highway, get off at an exit. We didn’t, and looking back I’m not sure how we could have possibly gone the .2 miles to get to the exit, because it seemed *that* serious and life/death at the time.
  • If you’re going to drive behind an ambulance (not being able to, you know, turn on a siren to run red lights and stuff), get a street address for the location they’re taking your most valued family members.
  • Think about who you’d want by your side in a traumatic event, and then marry that person. (My husband rocks.)
I keep having the same thought over an over – “I wasn’t even worried about this.” There are a ton of things we know to worry about as parents, and even then I do my best not to stress about stuff. We were at the doctor 3 days before and received excellent marks, the doc even said she was “Perfect.” (No really, in writing.) It just all felt like someone was watching over us the way it happened: I was sitting in the back, we were both there, we were in a major metropolitan area with ambulances and hospitals 5 min away, as opposed to some of the areas we were driving through a few hours prior.
3 days later and we’re all recovering, holding each other a little closer. The weekend was touch and go. The fever left as quickly as it came. We were shocked to take her temp the very next morning and it was 98.6, normal as they come. She does have a bit of a rash, but we’re not worried. (Maybe Roseola? It doesn’t sound serious from the interweb reading, and it’s not bothering her.)

4 thoughts on “I wasn’t even worried about this

  1. Oh my goodness Jamie! You guys handled this really well. The rash is nothing. Cierra has had them twice after a fever. Looks horrible but just a reaction to the high body temp, not harmful. I can’t imagine the feeling you had while this was happening. I have a friend with a little girl who had one of these too in the past and hasnt had one since…crazy how our bodies react to things. Glad everyone is ok and doing well! thanks for the tips!

    • Hey leanne! Yeah, it was the scariest moment of my life, hands down. The rash vanished maybe 5 days later and the doc at our follow up visit was pretty sure it was Roseola. No bigs. I hope I never have to see this again!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s